Mark J. Zega
Mark J. Zega is a partner in the Hamilton office of Filion Wakely Thorup Angeletti LLP. Mark is experienced in providing a full range of legal services on human resources and public law issues. Practice specialties include labour, employment, human rights, administrative and public law, with a special focus on education and healthcare law issues. He has extensive experience as a litigator and in providing counsel to clients on human resource, risk management, governance and regulatory issues.
Mark represents many large public institutions as well as private sector clients. Mark regularly counsels and represents employers. As an experienced litigator, he regularly advocates on behalf of clients before administrative tribunals and the courts. Mark has extensive experience in collective bargaining, arbitration, mediation, workplace investigations and facilitations. He also acts as tribunal counsel to internal administrative panels and as an employer nominee on rights and interest arbitration panels.
Mark also provides legal counsel to tribunals conducting administrative hearings under the Statutory Powers Procedures Act and/or under internal policies. Litigation and tribunal counsel experience includes discipline and termination of medical residents; workplace violence; discrimination and harassment; safe schools proceedings; student discipline and expulsion; code of conduct; faculty tenure and promotion and academic appeals. In addition, Mark has provided legal counsel to Boards of Trustees, Municipal Councils and Boards of Governors, and Boards of Directors.
- The Score Inc. (“Score Digital”) (Director)
- Industry-Education Council, Hamilton-Wentworth (Past Chair) (Member of Executive Committee)
- Score Media Inc. (Director 2000 to 2012)
- Ontario, Canada (1990)
EducationUniversity of Western Ontario (B.A., Honours, 1984), University of Windsor (LL.B., 1988)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Canadian Association of University Solicitors
- Canadian Association for the Practical Study of Law in Education
- Ontario Hospitals Association Labour Relations Bulletin Member
- Hamilton Lawyers' Club (Former President)
- Hamilton Law Association; Canadian Bar Association
- Hamilton and District Chamber of Commerce (Former Chair of the Human Resources Committee)