Data Breaches: What Employers Need to Know
About this topic:
Employers are required to obtain and retain private, sensitive data, including with respect to their employees. This seminar will focus on what employers should do if the data they have collected is compromised. As this is an emerging and evolving area of the law, this seminar will be a good opportunity for employers to develop the knowledge they need to deal with a data breach if it ever occurs.
Participants will learn about:
- Privacy obligations for federally and provincially-regulated employers;
- How those privacy obligations apply to information collected about employees;
- PIPEDA's breach notification provisions coming into effect on November 1, 2018;
- Developments in privacy law surrounding data breaches; and
- Best practices on what to do if your company's data is compromised.
Melanie McNaught and Geoff Ryans.