Defining the Relationship: Employee vs Contractor
Staffing flexibility, job specialization, reduced payroll costs, and potential tax advantages are tempting reasons to hire independent contractors. However, navigating employee classifications is not always straight forward and the consequences for misclassifying an individual as an independent contractor can be significant.
Inspired by the recent Foodora Inc. decision finding its couriers were dependent contractors, this seminar will:
- unpack and simplify the definitions of employee, independent contractor, and dependent contractor
- evaluate the different tests set out by various agencies including the CRA, WSIB, OLRB and the Ontario courts in determining classification
- review the potential consequences of misclassifying employees
- provide tips and best practices for drafting an independent contractor agreement, and
- analyze recent case law on employee classification in emerging industries
LSO CPD Hours: This program is eligible for up to 1.5 substantive hours.
Presenters: Matthew Vella, Hina Saeed, James Jennings & Natalie Garvin
REGISTER TO VIEW ONLINE