Effective Employment Agreements: Make the Most of Your Contracts
Employment agreements are one of the most effective tools employers have at their disposal, particularly when it comes to limiting exposure in the context of a dismissal. However, a number of recent decisions issued by the Canadian courts highlight that simply having an employment agreement in place is not enough. Rather, contracts need to be precisely drafted to ensure they are binding, enforceable, and serve their desired purpose.
In this informative session, we will provide attendees with an overview of the essential elements of an effective employment agreement. We will also review the latest cases, and provide tips to avoid potential drafting pitfalls associated with these common contractual issues:
- Termination provisions: is it possible to limit an employee’s entitlements to the minimums prescribed by legislation?
- Probationary periods: are they necessary or advisable?
- Incentive and bonus payments: can an employee's entitlement to these forms of compensation be ousted during the notice period?
- Restrictive Covenants: just how restrictive can they be?
- Amending an agreement: can terms and conditions of employment be revised after a contract is in place?
CPD Hours: This program is eligible for up to 1.5 substantive hours.
Presenters: Ashley Brown, Jessica Fay and Mark Van Ginkel
REGISTER TO ATTEND
REGISTER TO VIEW ONLINE